Saturday, February 16, 2013

Tea for Two



Some days I simply want to feel regal, to behave like a pompous queen who can leisurely sip on tea…or I purely need to warm my insides from NYC callous winter weather. So I head to Graffitea in the East Village. A tiny shop with only four tables and colorfully painted walls, the choices of loose leaves are fantastic. There are more than 200 varieties of tea, organized well by black, green, oolong, mate, jasmine, fruity herbal infusions, and more, in large silver tins with cheery labels. The single staff associate will assist kindly, letting one sniff away at the options before making a final decision. They also offer in-house brewed kombucha.




I decided on a Toffee Pu-erh selection, with a deliciously attractive caramelized aroma, which was served personally to me at my table shared with a cute couple nuzzling in the corner. Pu-erh tea is a wonderfully medicinal tea from China known to produce soothing qualities, and is also a great digestion aid, blood cleanser, and cholesterol reducer. The tea was both calming and delightful to my palette.

There are a few treats to purchase to nosh on although I was fortunate to be sharing tea time with a talented chef/companion who carried some scrumptious homemade raw vegan cherry pie in tow. 
Tea and raw cherry pie? Majestic.
 
Caveat: be cautious of your bladder for the shop is so petite that there is no public restroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment