Sunday, March 31, 2013

Chocolate Bunnies and Cava



The modern version of Easter stems from a pagan celebration of spring and fertility symbolized by goddesses, rabbits, and eggs. The Christians seemed to have removed women out of the picture. Is it possible to replace women with chocolate?

I suppose it makes sense as chocolate and women are both fabulously sacred.

A bit of history:
The name Easter originated with the names of ancient goddesses. A Christian scholar named the Venerable Bede (672-735 CE) wrote in his book De Ratione Temporum that Easter was named after Eostre (Eastre), the Great Mother goddess of the Saxon people in Northern Europe.  Her name was derived from the ancient word for spring- eastre. Spring symbolizing a time of fertility, other goddess celebrations in the springtime include Aphrodite, Ashtoreth from ancient Israel, Astarte from Greece, Demeter, Hathor from Egypt, Ishtar from Assyria, Kali from India, Ostara, a Norse goddess of fertility.

The symbols of the Norse goddess Ostara were the hare and the egg, representations of fertility. From these it is possible we have inherited the customs and symbols of the Easter egg and Easter rabbit. In ancient Egypt the rabbit was connected to lunar and human cycles, symbols too of fertility and the renewal of life. Dying eggs was a common ritual of both the ancient Egyptians and Persians, who colored and ate eggs in honor of the spring. Christian tradition claims that when Mary Magdalene visited Emperor Tiberias she gave him a red egg as a symbol of the Resurrection, a symbol of new life. Some believe that the Christian tradition of giving eggs to each other at Easter time came from this event. Who knows?

I eschewed eating eggs (painted or unpainted, ancient or modern) and instead consumed some delicious leftover raw vegan chocolate cake for my solo celebrating Easter brunch. Raw cacao is blissful any day, in the spring, summer, fall, and winter.

Grace Church on Broadway & 10th Street.
I was called to go to church nonetheless, an ostensibly strange event for a gal whose mother is still keeping kosher for Passover and only eating the horrid matzah. It is all deliciously beautiful to me. Jesus, Krishna, Buddha, Moses, fairies, mother Earth. We are all one. We are all teachers, inspirational leaders, made of love.

Grace Church near Union Square is one of my favorite churches in the city, a place I have found myself guided to countless times over the last few years. It is a massive gothic style church with gorgeous stained glass and a lavish altar. I took the crowded subway downtown and was originally going to visit my friend at her restaurant post but knew I needed to go to church first before convening. It was perfect, naturally, as I headed into the heavy church doors just in time for a live organ meditation. The sounds emanating from the powerful instrument vibrated throughout my core, stimulating a deep sense of bliss in every cell in my body as I sat on the pew. I am grateful. Filled with grace at Grace Church.


 
The grand Grace Church.




Opening my eyes I walked up to the altar and thanked the musician for his delightful talent before skipping through the light rain en route to visit my old pal from elementary school. She is a fiery friend, full of life and eager to contribute beneficially to the greater good of all. We chatted about veganism (her new choice of consumption for the last five weeks), letting go of attachments in regards to partners and love, the possibility of a mutual companion passing away. All is fitting and in due time for spring, a time for change and cleansing, a time to shed layers that do not serve, a time to perhaps reconsider the notions of rebirth and karma. There are always profound lessons to learn, even those which are challenging and unpleasant. Every moment a gift to open our hearts more widely to the vibration of unconditional love.

Cheers to SPRING!
And as I sat on the bar stool at Casa Mono next to the aged ham hock (which I prayed was killed in the most painless and kind way possible. Poor piggy! I love pigs…and bunnies, alive!), I was gifted a glass of cava by a co-worker. Happy Easter to all.  
The poor piggie.



No comments:

Post a Comment