Saturday, March 23, 2013

Re-Birth in NJ



Today I went to New Jersey. Don’t judge.

It was a swift and sunny ride to Princeton, NJ from Manhattan to the site of my solo cousin’s baby shower celebration, a town that is also my father’s alma matter and yes, the place in which I was too born. The cloak has been disrobed. I am from New Jersey. And damn PROUD.

Us familial ladies, my mother, sister, and aunt, had a bit of time of time to kill before the party and consequently decided to drive past the initial abode where I lived nearly thirty years ago. It was a not nearly as deeply nostalgic for me on a conscious level as it was for my mama for we moved shortly after my first birthday to NY. She recalled shoveling snow on the long driveway with her belly filled with me! She is a trooper. Always.

My First Home
 
It is important nonetheless to return to one’s place of birth at some point, to allow for the release of any stale energy and pain from one’s past. Liberation occurs organically when one heals one’s drama from ones mama. As I gazed at the corner house I once called home, I sent love to the infant fragments of my soul, the parts of myself itching to be nurtured more. There is always a bit more to mend, that is why we are human and living this amazing journey called LIFE. Aho!

Tea for Two?
The present day baby-ness was at a large conference center not too far from the center of town and my old residence, held in a room with two long tables covered with old-fashioned china cups, pastel colored confetti in the shape of bottles, Mylar balloons, and too many pieces of silverware. It was tea party for two! Literally. My blessed cousin is having twins.


After sniffing the selection of loose tea in glass vials from a classic wooden box we enjoyed a spread of snacks including tea cakes, petit fours, colorful macaroons, cannolis, cranberry white chocolate scones with cherry jam, lemon curd, and clotted cream, tiny sandwiches on brown toast with carrot and ginger, white bread with brie and arugula, artichokes and so one, in addition to a delightful fresh fruit spread and roasted vegetables for the devoted vegan.

Vegan Delights...


Not so Vegan.

 
Games included guessing the girth of the pregnant belly with string, decorating bibs with colorful markers, writing individual/humorous notes of advice for parenting with giant stork pens, and opening gifts wrapped with adorable paper. Ooohs and aaahs abound! Everything was too cute.

Baby blessings for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment